That’s right. Seven, because I am a rebel who has more than five interesting facts, but not interesting enough to have ten. Don’t like it? Too bad–it’s my blog, and hey, at least I didn’t choose nine because that would be infuriating. Anyway, there are a lot of book bloggers out there (hit me up with your recommendations) so you’re probably wondering “why should I follow this random person?” Well I’m going to tell you why with these (somewhat) interesting facts about me:
- I love fantasy, but you can also catch me with a good sci-fi, mystery or historical fiction. Let’s start off with the basics, I mainly read fantasy books because real life is boring–amirite? Kidding (kind of). So far, my favourites include Nevernight by Jay Kristoff, A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Scwab and Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor, although I am looking to diversify beyond the usual hyped-up books. In between fantasy reads, I tend to reach for sci-fi, mystery (like the Agatha Christie sleuth kind) or historical fiction (usually WWII), although there have been some contemporaries that have made my favourites list–I’m looking at you Angie Thomas.
- I’ve always been a bookworm but I was in a five year book slump until last year. Basically the story here is that late high-school/early university sucks and I got too busy to read. Then, it got even busier so naturally, I turned to YouTube–oh blessed distractions–and found BookTube (aka YouTubers who make videos about books), which lead to me reading over 100 books in the last 3/4 of 2018….hahahahahahahah….RIP my school work.
- I’m Canadian–eh?! First of all, where I am from (Southern Ontario) we don’t actually say “eh,” unless of course we are trying to demonstrate our Canadian-ness to others. Second of all, yes it does snow 5 months of the year here, so I feel really bad for anyone who lives north of me and gets even more snow.
- I’m almost done my university degree in criminology. As of the publishing of this blog post I have t-minus 16 months until I graduate from university (what? me? tired of being in school? noooooooo). I have a specialist in criminology and a minor in sociology, and before you ask, no, I cannot help you get away with murder.
- I’m getting married next year! On a related note, I also have 17 months until I get married. Am I crazy putting my wedding only a month after graduation? Maybe, but hey I like to live on the edge.
- I didn’t read Harry Potter until I was 18 (FYI I’m 21 now). I know right?!? And I call myself a fan. I watched the first five movies pretty early on in my life and LOVED them but then stopped after the sixth movie because I started getting confused. Then, my Harry-Potter-loving boyfriend (now future-husband) got me to read the books and voila–the movies made more sense! Also I’m a Ravenclaw, in case you were wondering.
- I also write family-oriented blog posts for the University of Toronto Family Care Office (aka shameless self-promo). Right now, I work as a writer and social media coordinator at an office that helps staff and students at my school who have family obligations. That also means writing monthly blogs about things that would interest families. You can check it out here-> http://blogs.studentlife.utoronto.ca/intersections/